About The Downtime And Lessons Learned
First of all, sorry that WRD had a downtime (around 8 hours) yesterday.
The post: 27 Adobe AIR Applications – Handy For Web Designers got pretty popular in most of the social-bookmarking / voting websites. I realized that the website was getting slower & about to take action on it. Then the post moved to frontpage at digg.com & I was not able to reach to server anymore.
As the server was not responding, rebooted from the power-strip several times, got ping results but after sometime, reboots weren’t pinging.
Thanks to the hosting company that they reached the server & told that the server was not able to boot because of corrupt system file errors (confirmed via KVM).
A fresh OS is installed & they added the previous harddisk as a secondary one so I could get the data.
After setting up the server, here it is, WRD is back online.
- Don’t underestimate the digg effect, it is really strong.
- Don’t reboot a server via power-strip (several times).
- Backup frequently (I’m good at this from past experiences).
- Apply all of your own tips.
- And maybe it is because the server is Windows, think about that.. : )
Hope that this post may help you to stay online.