Divi, brought to you by Elegant Themes, is one of the most well-known and popular multipurpose themes in the market to date. It boasts having everything you need to build a beautiful website from the ground up, thanks to the built-in visual page builder. And with demo content for industries of all kinds, it would seem this theme really does have everything you’d need to launch a WordPress site.
But does it live up to all the hype?
Today we’re going to dive in and check out everything Divi has to offer when it comes to features and price so you can see for yourself. And as an added bonus, we’re going to run some speed tests on Divi for those that are worried a multipurpose theme might drag down their site’s speed and performance.
So, let’s get started.
What is Divi?
Divi is the flagship creation of Elegant Themes and comes as part of an Elegant Themes membership. With your membership, you have access to two themes, Divi and Extra. You also get the social share plugin Monarch and the email opt-in and lead generation plugin Bloom.
The creators behind Divi claim that Bloom is more than just a WordPress theme; instead it’s a powerful website building platform that replaces the default WordPress editor (yes, even Gutenberg). But more than that, despite its multipurpose essence, Divi is built with beginners in mind.
You don’t have to have any technical, coding, development, or web design skills to build a stunning WordPress site using Divi. Adding to that, there’s no complicated set up either. All you have to do is install and activate the theme like you would any other WordPress theme. From there you can start building with ease.
The frontend customization functionality gives you a real-time live preview of your website as you make changes. And because Divi doesn’t place limits on industry, design, or layouts, it can honestly be called a multipurpose theme.
Last but not least, Divi comes with an exclusive page builder – Divi Builder – which is super convenient. You no longer have to invest in a page builder and a separate WordPress theme when launching a website.
But that’s not all Divi theme has to offer.
Divi Theme: Standout Features All Site Owners Want
1. Divi Builder + Layout Packs
We get it, the WordPress Classic Editor is pretty limiting and Gutenberg is…a work in progress. Luckily, Divi comes with a drag and drop visual editor that helps you avoid both the old and new WordPress editors.
When you set out to create a new post or page, and click the Use The Divi Builder button, you’ll find your screen comprised of:
- Rows that fit within sections
- Columns that fit within rows
Here’s an example:
Of course, you can build your post or page’s layout from scratch by adding sections, rows, and columns, as well as modules (more on those later). And any time you want to make a change, just drag the section, row, or column and place it where you want it to go.
Divi Builder also makes it easy to:
- Bulk edit multiple elements at a time
- Find and replace changes
- Copy and paste styles across elements
- Drag and drop media files right onto your pages
- Use the built-in keyboard shortcuts for faster site creation
It’s worth noting that the Divi Builder plugin can be purchased separately if you like the idea of using a WordPress page builder, but want to use a different WordPress theme.
Pre-made Layout Packs
If you want to make things even easier on yourself, or just need a little inspiration, use any one of Divi’s 100+ Layout Packs.
The Layout Packs are categorized so you can find what you need fast. For example, you might choose to view the Online Store, Technology, or Lifestyle packs. Altogether, there are over 100 Layout Packs and an impressive 800 pre-made website layouts for you to pick from, with new layouts being added every week.
When you click on a layout, another screen appears. Because each layout pack comes as a set, you’ll be able to choose the page or layout you’re creating (e.g., About, Homepage, Landing Page, etc.) and see a preview of it before you decide to use that specific layout.
This makes choosing the right layout for your website a breeze. And remember, you can always customize a layout you choose on the backend or frontend of your site.
Though it may seem a little confusing at first, once you start messing around with the editor you’ll quickly get the hang of it.
2. 40+ Content Modules
Finding the perfect element for your website can be tough if you aren’t sure what you’re doing. In an effort to cater to beginner site owners, Divi packs over 40 specific content modules into the Divi Builder, making site creation even faster.
You can choose from popular modules like:
- Contact form
- Search bar
Or some more unique modules such as:
- Countdown timers
- Login section
- Filterable portfolio
Though Divi inserts pre-designed modules onto your site when you pick one, remember, there are no design constraints.
You can easily customize everything on any module you select, from color schemes to copy, border width to animations. The options are endless and you are always in control over the way your theme (and website) looks.
3. Easy to Use Dashboard
One of the nicest things about Divi is the dashboard that’s available for customizing some important global settings.
Here’s a look at some of the most important them options you can configure:
- General: here you can upload a logo, enable a fixed navigation bar, allow Google Fonts, choose which social media icons to display, and enable translations.
- Navigation: exclude certain pages from the navigation bar, enable dropdown menus, and select how many dropdown tiers to show.
- Builder: enable/disable Divi Builder on post types (posts, pages, and projects).
- Layout: choose whether to show author, date, categories, and comments in post information section, show comments on posts, and place thumbs on posts.
- Ads: enable ad banners, upload an image, or include a destination URL or Google AdSense code.
- SEO: optimize homepage, single post, and index page SEO by enabling things like meta descriptions, keywords, and title layouts.
- Integration: add code to specific parts of your website, such as the <head> of your blog for integrating with third-party services like Google Analytics.
- Updates: ensure your theme is always up to date with your account username and API key.
This simple interface is easy to access and makes configuring important settings for your website something even a beginner can understand and handle.
4. WordPress Plugin Compatibility
With so many people using WooCommerce these days, it would be a huge mistake if the team behind Divi didn’t make their theme fully compatible. That said, Divi takes things further when it comes to playing nice with WooCommerce stores.
Not only are there ample Layout Packs made specifically for eCommerce shops in general, there are customizations that correspond to your WooCommerce shop you can include while creating your website.
For example, if you assign categories to your WooCommerce products, you can also choose those categories after choosing the Shop module to your site using Divi.
Adding to that, Divi helps you build an international brand. Supporting 32 languages with RTL support, you can translate both the back and frontends of your website.
It also supports the popular translation plugin WPML, so creating a multilingual site is doable no matter which approach to site translations you take.
5. Additional Customizations
There are so many ways to create a unique website with Divi it would be impossible to outline them all. That said, it’s worth noting some of the most stand out customization options available so you can get a feel for the creative freedom Divi offers site owners.
Make your Divi modules fun and interactive by customizing the hover effects. Change the background color, module position, shadows, text sizes, and so much more – all in real-time so you know it works the way you want it to.
In addition, combine your hover effects with Divi’s Module Link options, which turn any module, row, or section into a clickable link.
Fonts and Text Styling
With Divi’s font and text styling customizations, you can do the following:
- Choose from over 800 font styles
- Upload custom fonts
- Search for specific fonts using the search bar
- Access recently used fonts for consistency
- Apply font styling such as underline or strikethrough
- Control font weights with more precision
- Manage headings individually
Perhaps one of the most unique customization options in Divi are the shape dividers. You can easily create dynamic transitions between blocks of content to keep people engaged, organize your pages, and stand out from all the other sites in your industry.
Dividers can be placed above and below each Divi section on your site, complete with transition effects. Choose from 26 shapes, each of which can be flipped, rotated, resized, combined, and customized for a non-traditional look.
Another neat thing Divi lets site owners do is move elements around, scale them up or down, rotate them on three different axis, and skew/adjust them with ease.
Other great customization features found in Divi include:
- Responsive editing and different device previews
- Border additions, complete with sizing, corner adjustments, and custom colors
- Advanced code editor for those comfortable with CSS (use the editor or Divi code module)
- Change hue, saturation, brightness, contrast, blur, and more using background and blend modes
- Add depth to your website by adding drop and text shadows
- Include animations with any site element, customizing type, speed, and direction
- Apply custom background colors, gradients, images, and videos to any element
6. Built-in Marketing Tools
There’s more to running a successful online business than creating a beautiful website, even if you’re using Divi. Luckily, Elegant Themes understands this and gives website owners plenty of marketing tools to help.
- eCommerce compatibility (not just WooCommerce)
- Pricing tables, complete with design and content settings
- Email opt-in module for list building and lead generation
- Integration with email service providers like MailChimp, ConvertKit, and Constant Contact
- Built-in contact form with advanced conditional logic (hide and show fields based on user behavior to increase conversions)
- Social follow module and Monarch plugin’s social share system
Lastly, Divi comes with built-in split testing, which is something not a lot of WordPress themes offer. Test page designs against one another, choose goals to reach, and see which variation converts the highest by viewing the detailed data collected right in the Divi dashboard.
Whether lead generation, increasing sales, or boosting subscribers is your ultimate goal, Divi helps you reach it.
- Test individual elements
- Create an unlimited number of variations
- Pick a goal you want to meet and let Divi track progress
- Start tracking results right away
- Access important data and make improvements
Divi Speed Test
Now that you know all about Divi’s best features as a multipurpose theme, it’s time to look at how it performs. After all, a WordPress theme is only as good as its performance on your site. If your theme slows your page loads, and harms the user experience, it’s not worth it.
We ran our speed test with a fresh WordPress install and performed the following steps:
- We tested the site’s performance using LoadImpact. In our graphs, blue represents the response time, while purple is the number of requests.
- Using Chrome developer tools and Pingdom’s website speed test we discovered how long the site takes to load.
Of course, results will vary as you build your site with more content, images, and functionality. It will also depend on the type of WordPress web hosting you use to run your site. But these tests will give you a good starting point.
Divi had an average response time of 95ms with LoadImpact, which at first glance may not seem that impressive.
But when you take into account a two minute load test ran 11,945 requests, for an average of 100 requests/second, Divi’s steady response time is actually really great.
Divi loads in 676 ms with Chrome Developer Tools. With Pingdom, Divi loads in 1.25 seconds (with a 322.3KB page size and 22 requests) and has a performance grade of 90%.
Divi Support & Documentation
When you purchase Divi, you’ll have access to their extensive documentation, support forums, and an exceptional support team that’s available around the clock via live chat.
In addition, as you build your website using Divi, you’ll have access to multiple help buttons as you create that when clicked, launch the Divi Helper and a playlist of instructional videos that will help you with whatever you’re currently working on.
If you need technical support, you can also use the email ticketing system.
Divi Theme Pricing
As we mentioned earlier, Divi theme is available as part of an Elegant Themes membership that will cost $89/year.
With it, you get access to Divi theme, Extra theme, Bloom plugin, and Monarch plugin. In addition, you’ll receive 100s of Website Packs for easy site creation, products updates, premium support, and unlimited website usage.
If you really love Divi and the other premium products that come with being an Elegant Themes member, you can always make a one-time payment of $249 that will give you access to:
- Divi, Extra, Bloom, and Monarch
- Hundreds of Website Packs
- Lifetime updates
- Lifetime premium support
- Unlimited website usage
No matter which price point you choose, there’s a 30-day money back guarantee so you can try Divi risk-free.
After carefully evaluating all the features that come with Divi, it’s safe to say it’s an excellent choice for anyone looking to build a highly converting and visually appealing website.
It’s ease of use, extensive functionality, and affordable price are just some of the reasons why website owners of all kinds should consider choosing Divi theme for their WordPress website.
All that said, for those still on the fence, here’s a look at the pros and cons of using Divi theme.
- Ideal for beginner site owners with limited technical knowledge
- Beautiful pre-made templates that are fully customizable
- Drag and drop editor that gives you complete creative freedom
- Compatibility with eCommerce and marketing tools and services
- Multilingual and RTL support for building a global brand
- Exceptional documentation and support
- Great value for your money (including access to additional premium themes and plugins)
- Changing themes can be a problem because of theme lock-in
- Number of customization options can be overwhelming to novices
- Lacking advanced developer options
In the end, Divi has a lot to offer website owners in all industries and can honestly be labeled one of the best multipurpose themes in the market. And with a generous 30-day money back guarantee, you have nothing to lose by trying Divi on your site to see if you like it.
If you do decide to use Divi, make sure to check out these real-life Divi theme examples to get your creative juices flowing. And don’t forget, every website needs a great domain name, so get one by using any of these best domain name generators.
As an added bonus for being a loyal reader, get 20% OFF an Elegant Themes membership by using our exclusive coupon. No code is necessary, just click and buy!